Formerly known as the Sandown Classic, the Zipping Classic, is a Group 2 race run at Sandown’s Ladbrokes Park. It was named in honor of the race’s four-time winner for the years between 2007 and 2010. The first race happened in 1888, and since then, it has become an annual event.
The race field features a strong selection of spring stayers. Most of these stayers are just off-the-top performers in the current session. More often than not, Zipping Classic horse back-up in the first group of the Caulfield Cup, which starts in October, and the Group II, which starts in the early days of November. The former features a 2400m distance and the latter a 3200m distance.
The placegetters in these two groups proceed to the event at the next level. Nominations for the event are usually taken prior to the race runs on Saturday before the commencement. The final acceptances and the barrier draw are typically released on Wednesday. The official nominations close on Monday leading up to Ladbrokes Park’s significant race day.
Below are some facts you should know about this race;
- The race starts after the Melbourne Spring Racing Carnival in the month of November each year.
- It ends at Flemington.
- It features two races- The first one is the Sandown Guineas, a 1600m race for 3-year-olds, and the second is the 2400m classic race for the stayers.
- The winner of the show gets 250000 dollar price money
- The last Zipping classic took place on November 14th, 2020
Zipping horse betting opens at the beginning of the race week. Below are some betting tips that would come in handy;
- Proven stayers lead the markets over the distance of the race.
- When betting on this market, you do not need information on previous experience at Sandown Racecourse.
- However, you will need the past Melbourne form as this will help you to know the order of the odds and the runners’ abilities.
- Another good betting tip is not to back a runner over ten dollars in betting. This is essential because none of the champions has made a double-fingers salute in more than ten years.
The form guide is a detailed report that provides you will all facts and stats that you need to know before betting on these races. It contains details like the jockeys, trainers, barriers, and weights. Form guide also consists of information on results from former races. The past race results have mostly featured horses from the Melbourne cup stepping back in class and distance.
Racers Luke Zipping (four-time champ 2007-2010), Taj Mahal (2018-2018), and American (2011) are worth noticing. All the information on the Form guide will come in handy when looking to make a betting decision. They also come in handy for newbies to this race. Most of the time, you will get access to a complete form guide during the race week. Your work is to study it and use it to make informed decisions.